Tuesday 7 October 2008

Play It Loud-a-mix

It took a while to travel a long way, I’d had a preview of the content, but no details. So when the CD marked “Play It Loud” arrived I was already tense with anticipation. Tension increased when I looked at the track listing. There’s at least one old favourite, but the rest were either artists I’d heard of but never really listened to or artists who were completely new to me.

Hello There – Cheap Trick

“Are You Ready to Rock”, “Are You Ready or Not”? This is a great start, perfect choice for a CD labelled “Play It Loud”. Definitely got me in the mood, although I can’t help thinking now, after several plays, of an aged rocker who’s voice has been strained by too much hard living! Anyway first up a hit, good start.

Diamonds and Guns – Transplants

Didn’t like this at first, but it’s grown slowly on me.

This is How You Remind Me – Nickleback

This reminds me of many miles run on a treadmill in the gym. Mainly because this is where I remember hearing this most, with it being a regular track played on the gyms music channel. It’s not a favourite of mine, but it is good to run to! Has a good beat to keep pace to, without ending in heart attack! A hit.

Beat It – Fall Out Boy Ft. John Mayer

Jacko eat your heart out, this a way better cover than your original. Much more up tempo. Great for driving to, although you have to watch your speed there. Another hit.

Such Great Heights – Postal Service

“I have to speculate that god himself did make us into corresponding shapes like puzzle pieces formed from clay.”

I love this song. Have I told you that? Well I love this song. It is by far and a way, my favourite on the whole CD. Every time I listen I hear something new. A new lyric, a tune, rift, whatever. It reminds me of several other tracks that I would probably list in my “all time favourite top how-ever-many we are listing this week” list. Not because it sounds the same, has similar lyrics, just because it makes it into that all time list. I’m going see if I can track down the rest of the album. Hit, hit, hit.

Ava Adore – Smashing Pumkins

I had heard of the Smashing Pumkins before but never really listened to any of their music. This however is one of those tracks that you overhear on a hot summer, when you’re queued at traffic lights and it’s playing on someone else’s car stereo, and then have to try and track down (only ‘coz I’d be too embarrassed to lean out of the car window, and ask the person in the car where the music is playing as to what the track is)! Fortunately Will was kind enough to provide this information on the track listing! Another hit!

Breakerfall – Pearl Jam

I’m sorry this is the first miss. Pearl Jam? Nah I can take ‘em or leave ‘em. It just doesn’t do it for me I’m afraid. Hit skip and move on.

No One Knows – Queens of the Stone Age

Not heard of these guys (or girls, they sound like guys though) before. It has one of those beats that are catchy and soon has you throwing yourself about the room. This point is one that is a little difficult to achieve if you are driving in the car however! A hit.

El Matador – Los Fabulosos Cadillacs

I have no idea what the lyrics are to this because they’re all in Spanish (I think), but it has a great tune.

Paper Planes – M.I.A.

I never want to meet these ladies. They’re scary and have guns; but they do have a rather catchy tune! Whilst the lyrics really irritated me for what they stood for, I have to say they “pack and deliver like UPS trucks”. Hit.

The Kill – 30 Seconds From Mars

A slight change of pace just over midway through the disc, great ‘coz I need a breather. A bit reminiscent of Nickleback though, and the feeling that I am back on that damn treadmill. An OK track but not one that stands out to me, although I did like the lyrics.

Song 2 – Blur

I never liked Blur (or Oasis for that matter). This however is one of their songs that has that catchy woohoo, but I can’t bring myself to break my deep-seated dislike for them. A miss I am afraid.

Oxford Comma – Vampire Weekend

Never heard of them before. Not a hit or a miss, but I find it difficult to write much about it though. Some nice lyrics and good backing track, but I can’t see that I’ll be following up with anymore of their songs.

Bleed American – Jimmy Eat World

A live track this one, but I am sorry it was just noise to me. Hit skip again.

The Chronicles of Life and Death – Good Charlotte
Heard of, but never really listened to before. I like the lyrics, and it fits well with the music. I also sense that there are better tracks than this one to find, so I will be following up on this.

Paradise City - Guns n’ Roses

An old favourite of mine, and no CD requiring extreme volume would be complete without some Guns n’ Roses. A definite no-brainer of a hit.

King of the Kerb – Echobelly

Hit again. Another group that I’ve heard of but never listened to, and on the strength of this track will be following up for more.

Everybody Get Dangerous – Wheezer

Never heard of Wheezer, but think I have heard the track before (possibly on a film score). Reminds me a bit of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, who I like, so I’ll be following up here too. Another hit. Everybody get dangerous!

The Rat – The Walkmen

Hey Walkmen on my Walkman, how cool is that (sorry couldn’t resist). Again never heard of them, just struck me that the lyrics were a deep and over my head or maybe I was reading too much into them.

All My Life – Foo Fighters

Heard of, never listened to before, but had heard great things of. Enjoyed this track, not the best on the album, but enough to follow up and see if I like more of their stuff. A hit.


So overall a most excellent ratio of hits to misses. This CD lives in my car at the moment, just so I can play it often, and loud! It has introduced some new music to me and I will be following up on quite a few tracks over the coming months. Thanks Will.

No comments: