Wednesday 1 November 2017

Mix Club CD – Anime Soundtracks


Many thanks to Alan for this cd and the extremely comprehensive set of notes to go along with it (which should be readable here).

Well, this promises to be an interesting experience. I haven’t watched a great deal of anime or read any manga to speak of, although I’m aware of the culture and some of the tropes. I’m going to dive right in and start listening. The cd has selections of a few tracks from different anime series, so I think it will be interesting to compare and contrast.

Azumanga Daioh


  1. Let’s Begin

This sounds pretty much what I was expecting - a bouncy, upbeat tune that sets the scene ...

  1. Soramimi Cake (the opening theme, or OP, for the anime by Oranges & Lemons)

… for what sounds like cute girls singing about cake (I assume). Very catchy.

  1. New School Term 1

So, a change of pace. This sounds like a recorder being played in a school hall and I can imagine the feelings of nervous anticipation.

  1. What Do You Mean?

This sounds like lounge jazz, so it took me slightly by surprise. I’m intrigued to know the context of this now.

  1. The Six Are Always Together

Back to the upbeat stuff, and I’m imagining the protagonists holding hands and spinning round in circles to this.

  1. Raspberry Heaven (the ending song, or ED, for the anime by Oranges & Lemons)

Even though my knowledge of Japanese is limited to the ability to describe every part of a sword and what to do with it, I think I prefer the vocal sections. I like the way that they mix English and Japanese too - is this a common thing?

Flying Witch


  1. Kowata Makoto

Ah, the comfy anime. I really like this - a simple piano track accompanied by guitar. Lovely.

  1. A Lingering Freeloader

More relaxing stuff. This reminds me of the Animal Crossing soundtrack, at least the bits at night time, where you potter round the village talking to the night owls.

  1. Flying Witch

This is very evocative - I can picture the young witch swooping through valleys and over mountains.

  1. The Happiness of Dreams and Waysides

The more I hear of this, the more I like it.

  1. Nichijou no Mahou (the ED for the anime, sung by the voice actresses for Makoto and her cousin Chinatsu)

And a song to finish with, a very sweet duet too. I think this is one anime that I would really like.

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa


  1. Track 1

OK, so I googled this one for context ...

  1. Track 2

… and I can sense the ‘bouncy’ theme. Ahem. Actually, it sounds interesting that, breast fixation aside, there is anime that is just about people talking, without any space ships, ninjas or superhero drama.

  1. Getsuyoubi no Tawawa ED

A nice theme song to finish on.

Nichijou


  1. Nichijou no Title Kyoku
  2. Fukkatsu no Yukko

This sort of reminded me of Peter and the Wolf, after seeing that used recently in an episode of season three of Fargo. I get the orchestral Disney comparison too.

  1. Choushizuku Yukko
  2. Happy Shinonome Kenkyuujo
  3. Nichijou no Talk

Hmm, this doesn’t really grab me as much as the other things, perhaps because it does sound more like a western soundtrack (not Western, but you know what I mean).

  1. Kigen no Yoi Hakase
  2. Kawairashii Doki Doki Kan

I think maybe I need to see this anime for the context to make sense.

Non Non Biyori


Track Listing:
  1. Nanairo Biyori (this is the season 1 OP by nano.RIPE)

Ah, back to the proper stuff. I like this! Lovely, catchy stuff.

  1. Ren-chon and a Sunny Road

This is a wistful piece, and more recorder music as well (I assume). The recorder is a heavily underutilised instrument, outside of school assemblies and folk music.

  1. Non Non Biyori Theme

I can hear the theme here, reprised from the previous track (or maybe the other way round). Nicely done.

  1. Exciting Day

Appropriately enough, this conveys a sense of nervous anticipation.

  1. Meet You Tomorrow

I am amazed at the care and attention that goes into some of these pieces, with far more going on than the generic, aural wallpaper that we get in western drama series.

  1. Spring Has Arrived

The harmonica on this really reminds me of something, possibly the Harvest Moon theme, or something along those lines. Really nice.

ARIA


  1. Gondola no Yume

Enough with the pastoral settings and school girls, we’re off to the future! Now, this doesn’t sound like the future I was expecting, but it really works. I can picture a world where people are getting on with their lives as gondoliers on a version of Venice on a terraformed Mars.

  1. Mizu no Kagami

Love the ethereal choir on this.

  1. Rainbow (season 1 ED)

Oddly enough, this reminded me of an Oasis song transposed up several octaves, but I really like it.

  1. Neo-Venezia no Suisaiga

Actually, I think I would really like this one. I’ve been obsessed with Venice ever since playing Tomb Raider II and later on, Assassin’s Creed II, then writing a Nanowrimo set in the city. I will have to go there one day, but in the meantime this anime sounds intriguing.

  1. Euforia (season 2 OP)

And a lovely closing theme. There are plenty of tracks on there that I would listen to again, and I certainly want to watch Flying Witch and Aria.

Thanks Alan!

No comments: